Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cajun Shrimp Diane Recipe

This recipe was inspired by my favourite dish at Milestones :) 
Giant shrimp simmered in a creamy cajun sauce atop a bed of jasmine rice.
It took me not too long to figure out the recipe...but to perfect it was a different thing. Often when I start out experimenting in the kitchen, I will add bits of ingredients as I go, but when I am left with a yummy finished product I have no idea how to reenact the process. Today I was finally able to get the recipe down pat and I'm hoping someone else will try and benefit from this delicious recipe.

To start you will be needing;
~1/4 cup butter
porcini mushrooms- cut up in little pieces
cajun seasoning (strangely enough, when I ran out of my bulk barn version of it with a metro version, this dish turned out stranger than I expected. I'd go with the bulk barn's cajun spice which is real cheap too!)
cooked shrimp - bought frozen and then thawed in hot water and detailed
jasmine rice
water
salt n pepper
fresh basil - about 10 leaves
flour
cream and/or milk


Start with a hot saucepan. Melt ~1/4 cup of butter in the pan at medium heat.
Chop basil and put in pan with butter. Add in mushrooms and cook until ~1/2 the size and nice texture. Add in about a tablespoon of cajun spice and stir.  Add in a bit of cream (say 4 tbsp). Stir often during this dish so that the cream sauce will have a chance to come together.
Add in your thawed and detailed shrimp and stir while they cook. Add in another tbsp of cajun seasoning (really trust me on this one, the bulk barns is much better...the clubhouse kind will give you some red oily bit in the sauce that is hard to get rid of ).
In a rice cooker or a pot (I'm not sure what setting if your using a pot), get your rice cooking. 1:1 ratio of rice to water is usually perfect. Season with a bit of salt before you cook it.
Let your shrimp cook for a while in the pan (about 10 mins) add in more cream to tone down the heat of the dish and bring together a creamy sauce
Make a little bowl of packed rice and flip over onto a plate. Serve cajun shrimp and sauce atop the bed of rice.  Et voila!

4 comments:

J and A said...

You just made my day! :) I had this dish on Saturday night and goggled how to find a recipe similar! And now we are BFFs! ha ha Thanks girl, can't wait to make this.

beauty.aqua18 said...

sounds good!.. but when does the flour come in?

jojo said...

LOL they don't use cooked celery! It's bok choy... geeeeez! hahahahaha

Susan Varve said...

I made this for lunch just now and it is superb! I used milk instead of cream, since that's all I had, and I added a chopped tomato. It was so good that I'm picking up more shrimp tomorrow so I can have it on the weekend again! Thanks for the recipe!

Post a Comment